The Cat Friendly Practice (CFP) program was created to improve the treatment, handling and overall healthcare of cats. Its purpose is to equip veterinary practices with the tools, resources and information to elevate the standard of care for cats.
How Does The CFP Program Work?
1. Each practice must have an AAFP member on staff. Click on the ‘Apply Now’ link, log in with your membership password and respond to a few questions about the practice. Not an AAFP member? By joining the AAFP, you will not only have complete access to the CFP program and additional resources, but you will also receive a myriad of other great benefits including a twelve month subscription to the Journal of Feline Medicine & Surgery!
2. Everything is completed online in an easy-to-use format! There are ten topic areas and each has a video that discusses the importance of implementing these criteria in the practice. Then you will assessthe practice with the Cat Friendly Practice Checklist Criteria. Checklist Criteria items are supported by the manual, ‘A Guide to Creating a Cat FriendlyPractice,’ as well as supplemental educational resources and photos.
There are two levels a practice may obtain - Silver or Gold. Silver Standard status is for practices that meet the essential standard criteria for a Cat Friendly Practice. The Gold Standard status is for practices that have incorporated the optimum level of Cat Friendly Criteria.
3. Once the practice meets the criteria, the submission will be evaluated for approval. If approved, your practice will become a Cat Friendly Practice. Each Cat Friendly Practice will receive a complete CFP toolkit that includes a status certificate, poster, and numerous marketing pieces that will give your practice the tools, printed documents and knowledge to make the most of your CFP status. You will also be listed in the Cat Friendly Practice online database so clients can search and find your practice.
- Staff Training & Continuing Education / Client Communications
- Veterinary Practice / Waiting Room
- Feline Handling & Interaction with Clients
- Examination Room & Clinical Records
- Wards Facilities
- Pain Management / Operating Room & Anesthesia
- Surgical Equipment & Dentistry
- Diagnostic Imaging & Laboratory Facilities
- Treatment / Health & Safety
- Preventative Care by Life Stages
Bringing your cat to a Cat Friendly Practice can benefit you and your cat. Click here to find our more information and in the Guide for Cat Owners.